Sunday, June 08, 2008

Sunday, Bloody Sunday

Just like any sunday the day starts looking for juicy tables full of fish. And there were tons of them.

This only leads to one problem. When there are like a hundred tables, and like a million fish, why can't I get one of those tables for myself? Every juicy table I manage to find there are atleast 1 or 2 sharks who just don't allow me to bust the fish by myself.

Contrary to the title, I actually did quite decently. Managed to put in around 3k hands, won 2.4 buyins and ended 23rd in a freeroll donkament from my Rakeback site, which sadly only earned me $55.

It was one of those days where KK runs into AA from half-stack fish constantly, sets do not hold up over half the time, AA loses a bunch of times after getting most the money in good, and the large bluffs never seem to work. You know what I'm talking about, those days are sundays.

There were quite some interesting hands but the most interesting ones were vs other cardrunners members.

$0.5/$1 No Limit Holdem
6 players
Converted at weaktight.com


Stacks:
UTG ($100.50)
UTG+1 ($101.50)
CO ($316.30)
BTN ($100.00)
SB ($112.20)
Hero ($101.50)

Pre-flop: ($1.50, 6 players) Hero is BB

3 folds, BTN raises to $3.50, 1 fold, Hero raises to $12.50, BTN calls $9



Villain in question is a CR member, is very solid and observant. He probably also knows who I am, yet that didn't stop him from attacking the blinds almost every time he was on the CO or button. I do not mind that, except when I am the BB. I expect him to know I will 3bet him often because of that, so I chose to do so at first with a polarized range to see if he'll start 4-betting me or calling in position.

Flop:
($25.50, 2 players)
Hero checks, BTN checks



Not a bad flop, but not one I can cbet. Villain will probably be raising me here with tons of hands, regardless of if he actually hit it. So I decided to just check, call a flop bet and check raise all-in on most turns. Villain checked behind though which tells me he has a hand with showdown value.

Turn:
($25.50, 2 players)
Hero bets $17, BTN calls $17



Now I got a pair + flushdraw, and I do not expect him to bluffraise me here. If he was going to bluff, he was going to do so on the flop. So I just lead out.

River:
($59.50, 2 players)
Hero goes all-in $72, BTN calls $70.50



On the river, what will villain be thinking? I checked the flop on a drawy board, so I never have an overpair. Both the turn and river are 'blanks' so if he was ahead on the flop he must still be. Also, he must realize I know he has a hand with showdown value, so something worse than AQ, probably a lower pair. I decided my best play would be to just shove, since that line screams bluff.

Final Pot:
$200.50
Hero shows:
BTN shows:

Hero wins $199 ( won +$97.50 )
BTN lost -$100.00



Hand 2 vs same villain. This hand is more interesting because villain knows exactly what kind of hand I have and makes a great play vs the wrong opponent:

$0.5/$1 No Limit Holdem
6 players
Converted at weaktight.com


Stacks:
UTG ($112.25)
UTG+1 ($114.30)
CO ($299.80)
BTN ($101.50)
SB ($100.50)
Hero ($189.00)

Pre-flop: ($1.50, 6 players) Hero is BB

3 folds, BTN raises to $3.50, 1 fold, Hero calls $2.50



TT is a monster vs villain's range, but I do not like to 3-bet it at this time because of the last hand. Villain will probably not fold to a 3bet, and may start 4-betting me to put me in a tough spot, especially after seeing me 3bet him with 63s earlier.

Flop:
($7.50, 2 players)
Hero checks, BTN bets $5, Hero calls $5



My hand is generally ahead on that board but vs this player I am not checkraising there. It's a good board to CR with hands like sets, marginal pairs which include a gutshot and perhaps some random hands without much equity here, like KQ. But I do not think doing so with hands like TT and JJ is optimal play vs this villain. It will be tough OOP vs him, but that's no reason to turn my hand into a bluff. So I just check-called.

Turn:
($17.50, 2 players)
Hero checks, BTN checks



I check here hoping to keep the pot small and villain checks behind. I think he never holds an overpair if he checks here, and obviously also never a set. That means my hand must still be good.

River:
($17.50, 2 players)
Hero bets $14, BTN raises to $45, Hero calls $31



I make a value bet on the blank river and villain decides to make my life hell by making a substantial raise here. But what is villain representing here after checking the turn?
How does my hand look to villain? I called him OOP preflop, which can mean multiple things except a strong overpair. I check-called the flop, which implies I either have a weak pair or a draw. So when I bet the river here, how strong could my hand possibly be?
Villain's river raise here is not bad because he knows the strength of my hand, but he should realize his line makes no sense vs players who will be thinking about their hands as well. So after raising here the only hands he can represent here are dueces or bluffs.

Final Pot:
$107.50
Hero shows:
BTN shows:

Hero wins $104.50 ( won +$51 )
BTN lost -$53.50


Hand 3, this one is vs another cardrunners member:

$0.5/$1 No Limit Holdem
6 players
Converted at weaktight.com


Stacks:
UTG ($100.00)
UTG+1 ($100.00)
CO ($100.00)
Hero ($135.60)
SB ($99.00)
BB ($81.50)

Pre-flop: ($1.50, 6 players) Hero is BTN

1 fold, UTG+1 raises to $3.50, 1 fold, Hero calls $3.50, 2 folds



This villain is also quite aggressive preflop, and instead of stealing my blinds constantly, this one keeps stealing my button, which is even worse. vs most aggro players I would 3-bet here with a hand like this, but villain knows who I am, knows I could be 3betting him light, and could possibly do something annoying like 4-betting me here. So I elect to just call. It's my button after all.

Flop:
($8.50, 2 players)
UTG+1 bets $6, Hero calls $6



I totally miss the flop, it's a dry one, and vs a solid player I do not really like bluffraising here. If I raise I am representing 33, 44 or the nut flush draw. I would also be raising KQ here, but villain probably does not know that. But it's still my button, so I call.

Turn:
($20.50, 2 players)
UTG+1 bets $15, Hero calls $15



Another K arrives making it less likely for villain to hold a K here. But he also knows that I could be floating the flop with some random junk so decides to 2-barrel me. Standard play here is to fold, but villain may still have total air, so I call again. Even while I do not have anything yet, I still have the button and I'm not giving it up yet...

River:
($50.50, 2 players)
UTG+1 checks, Hero bets $36, UTG+1 folds



Villain checks, and because he's solid, I know he will be inducing bluffs from me here with hands like JJ/QQ/AA perhaps even TT. I do not expect him to fold many made hands to a river bet. So I make a small enough bet here to get a fold out of hands like 22 or ace high, but large enough so 88 and 99 will probably also fold.

Final Pot:
$50.50

Hero wins $84 ( won +$23.50 )
UTG+1 lost -$24.50

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home